SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR OUR WINTER 2024 ISSUE: REVOLUTIONS
Alchemy welcomes previously unpublished traditional and non-traditional translations as well as experimental work that investigates or challenges the very act of translation. You may submit translated poems, short fiction, non-fiction, dramatic works / dialogues, letters, reviews, or cross-genre/unclassifiable work. We also accept submissions of visual art, which may be considered for the cover art. It’s always free to submit.
- Poetry: 1-2 poems
- Prose (Fiction/Non-Fiction/Other): max. 2,000 words
- Drama/Dialogue: max. 5-minute scene
- Cross-Genre/Unclassifiable Works: combine the aforementioned criteria in the manner that best fits
- Visual Art: 1-5 works, can be a series (JPEG or PNG file)
We accept translation work mainly from student translators and emerging translators, but we also consider work from professional translators who have not yet published a full-length book of translation.
Please include the translation(s) and the source texts(s) as well as two 200-400 word bios (one of the original author and one of yourself). You may also share a translator’s or artist’s note including any relevant information about your methods or the significance of your work.
We do not accept previously published translations or works that you are not authorized to publish (authorization includes permission from the original author or current rights-holder, or Creative Commons / public copyright license).
We look forward to reviewing your work!
~The Alchemy Editorial Team
- Use legible 11 or 12-point font for both source and target docs
- Submit separate files for source and target docs (source doc must be a typed up version of the text, not a photo or scan of it)
- Display word count on first page of target doc
- If you have not yet obtained rights to translate/publish (if applicable), please do not submit
- If you have already published a full-length book of translations (or if one is forthcoming in the near future), please do not submit